HEALTHY MANGO SALAD

I generally try to avoid adding sweet ingredients in my main dish. Having said that, Mango Salsa was quite intriguing to me. I could not for the life of me imagine how the sweet mangoes could co exist well with ingredients like bell peppers, onions.Mangoes sure can exist in harmony and yet be charming enough. We loved it so much that I made it 5-6 more times until I was left with no mangoes.The crunch of the bell peppers, mild tasting onions, minimal heat from the jalapeno went hand in hand with the sweet mangoes so well. I salute the genius who even thought of putting these all together. I made a small batch of the salsa at first and having loved it so much, made a huge batch. I was curious to see my better half's reaction and well - he loved it too. It supposedly goes excellent with fish but being lacto Ovo vegetarians, I have tried them as a filling in my Taco Shells, Quesadillas, Burritos and even with Arroz Verde. It went well with all of them, in fact it was perfect accompaniment to Arroz Verde which was little hot for us and this salsa managed to counter balance its effects superbly.  Its ridiculously simple to put together and I just followed few recipes from the net and used them as a guideline to make mine.


{ Preparation & Cooking Time : 10 Min }
      Difficulty : Easy
     Meal Type : Vegetarian
          Serves : 2
Cuisines :  Indian, Indonesian, Chinese, Sri lanka, American.



   Ingredients
• 1 large ripe yet firm mango
• 1 medium red bell pepper, diced into small pieces
• 1 medium Jalapeno, seeded and diced into small pieces (if you can take the heat, add the seeds to the salsa)
• 1 small red onion, diced finely, about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup depending on sharpness
• 1 -2 tablespoon lemon/lime juice ( +/- depending on your taste )
• Salt to taste
• Little sugar to sprinkle if your mangoes are not sweet enough
• Few sprigs of cilantro, chopped
• Few mint leaves (optional)
Serve with any main course you desire.
There, wasn't that simple enough?
And it looks mighty appetizing too :)


   Preparation Method
1. Dice the mango into small pieces. Add them to a bowl.

2. I seeded the jalapeno well before chopping into small pieces since we do not eat *hot* stuff. But you can leave in few seeds if you like the heat.

3. Now add rest of  the ingredients  to the bowl with the mangoes and jalapeno

4. Toss well and cover it with a plastic wrap. Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This helps the flavor to mingle well. You can optionally add few mint leaves too.



         ENJOY



Test Kitchen Guaranteed: All recipes That Run in Fine Cooking are Throughly test in our test Kitchen - ENJOY

Comments

Popular Posts